Sales Representatives Law
The California legislature has enacted laws designed to protect the Independent Sales Representative in its dealing with manufacturers, distributors and others in the distribution chain. These statutes have many requirements, which, if used correctly, will protect the agency in all kinds of disputes involving commissions, territory and termination. These statutes may expose the manufacturer or distributor including treble damages.
The attorneys at Callanan, Rogers & Dzida, LLP have the knowledge and skill to use these statutes for the utmost benefit of their clients. Whether you are presently involved in negotiating a new agency contract, or in a commission dispute or being wrongfully terminated–we can help!
Many agencies have an established customer base, an extremely valuable asset that needs protection. Everyday agencies are finding their territories reduced or commissions cut. Wrongful termination and seizure of an agency’s customers can have devastating results. You need protection! We know how to use the law to your advantage.
Listed below are a few examples of the kinds of cases we have successfully handled:
- A long time sales representative with a valuable client base and a “handshake” commissions arrangement was wrongfully terminated; the principal then took the clients for itself in an attempt to avoid paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in commissions.
- The principal wrongfully attempted to use a 30 days termination clause in a contract to avoid paying commissions on business that took years to develop.
- A sale representative procures a valuable customer for the principal who then takes the customer and refuses to pay commissions.
- A principal refuses to account to a sales representative for sales made to valuable customers.
- A sale representative leaves a principal who owes him hundreds of thousands of dollars in commissions and then to add insult to injury is sued for trade secret infringement.
For Robert Rogers: My wife and I are so grateful for all the help and support you gave us during a very difficult time in our lives. You are a great lawyer, but more importantly a great person, and I truly admire you.
Joe Dzida represented our company in an eminent domain case with the State of California. In the land taking for a high speed rail line, the State left us without enough land to operate our business into the future. Joe’s excellent representation on a contingency basis resulted in us acquiring the land next to our property and a payment from the State that was over 6 times greater than their original offer. We can now operate and grow our business the way it was planned when we purchased the property. A solid 5 stars and our highest recommendation for this company.
Finally, I wish to thank you for the exceptional service you have rendered our company. I was very impressed with the fine work that you have done and am very appreciative. I am very glad to get to know you and look forward to resolution on this case. As I mentioned, my (CFO) has told me that in his 50 years of working with attorneys he has never worked with a finer attorney than you. We certainly look forward to future work with you after this case is finalized.
Thank you so much for your priceless time and effort assisting all of us. Your letter without a doubt has caused (our opponent) to reconsider their unethical and unlawful actions of simply going through the motions (without) providing due process. I cannot thank you enough. I most sincerely and profoundly thank you for doing this for me.
I wanted to thank you for all of your incredible support through this stressful process. I could not have done it without you. Thank you SO much for your confidence, honesty and diligence every step of the way. People like you restore my faith in the justice system. It is intimidating as hell to stand up to a multi-billion dollar corporation especially after disempowering discrimination and the challenging times I faced after my injury. Thank you for all of your support.